We’ve all been told to throw first pitch strikes and we know the odds are more in our favor if we do so, but why? Why is an 0-1 fastball outside more effective then the same pitch in a 1-0 count?
- 92.7% of first pitch strikes lead to outs
- 69% of strikeouts start with first pitch strikes
I could go even deeper into the statistics but those tell the story. Pitchers are FAR more productive when they get the first pitch strike.
No More Stats.
I’m not going to talk ground ball/ fly ball statistics, average exit velo or swing and miss % after first pitch ball or first pitch strike…… I’m going to talk about the mental side of the whole thing.
There will be little hard evidence to support my claims so feel free to comment if if you agree or disagree.
So we know that hitters are worse off in pitchers counts. But why? Do pitchers always throw more quality pitches when they’re ahead in the count?
The short answer is no.
What does happen is pitchers gain confidence and hitters lose confidence.
When a pitcher gains confidence a few things happen mentally:
- You feel like you can throw any of your pitches effectively
- You don’t have to worry as much if you have trouble controlling your off speed.
- You feel more comfortable flirting with the black on your next pitch.
- You whole body loosens up because you don’t have to worry about going down 2-0
- Looser body = more velocity & movement.
Conversely, a few things happen in the hitters head:
- You’re less sure of what the pitcher will throw next.
- 1-0 you know the pitcher is going to do everything in his power to throw a strike, and depending on his tenancies, you might even know what PITCH is coming.
- 0-1, his tenancies almost fly out the window – you might know what he usually throws 0-1, but since he’s ahead he can do whatever he wants.
- Some batters at this point feel pressured to get bat on the ball at anything in the strike zone – they don’t want to go down 0-2
- A batter ahead in the count can watch a curve ball go by, even if it’s a strike in search of a better pitch to hit.
- The pressure of the at bat builds against their favor
- This creates tension in the muscles. Tension takes a huge toll on bat speed and on the efficiency of a person’s decision making process.
Mental Changes are Magnified in Youth Players
I have absolutely no statistics to back the claim I’m about to make, but I think it’s safe to say that these confidence changes take a bigger effect on youth ball players.
Youth players aren’t as used to the failures that come with every single baseball game. To some kids, giving up a hit can be the end of the world. To a seasoned veteran, giving up a hit is just a part of the game and has little or no effect on him.
If the fate of the world rides on each and every batter, then getting that first pitch strike takes a huge weight off the pitcher’s shoulders and delicately places it right back on to the batter’s shoulders.
No matter what the pitcher is throwing; whether it’s a fastball, slider, curveball, change up mix or a fastball changeup mix – once that first strike has been thrown, the pressure has been shifted to the batter. That alone can change the outcome without even mentioning the other things taking place in both the batter and pitcher’s minds.
Source: Weinstein Baseball